Auditing & Logging
Maintaining a log of data changes in a database might be crucial for sensitive businesse data, either for database administrators or auditers to see what data manipulation operations are going on in a database, but even database application developers might benefit from a change log, because they are able to see what operations are involved when they are implementing a somewhat complex business process and aren't sure if they could do that with lesser data manipulation operations. And, if you gain from a client-independent solution - even better.
LogManager Product Line
The LogManager product line serves you with a reliable server-side auditing mechanism for well-known database management systems like InterBase, Firebird, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (and up), Advantage Database Server and NexusDB v2 combining ease of use, flexibility and reliability. Simply, it makes your auditing life much more easier, especially for complex databases with many tables. Ever tried writing log triggers manually? Yes? Then your experience might be that this is really timeconsuming and error-prone. With the LogManager product line it is a snap to track all operations on all tables and columns, because the easy-to-use graphical user interface gives you the power you need.
Typical application areas for the LogManager products are
- To answer questions like: "Who has when modified, deleted or inserted a certain record?"
- Change logs for statistical purposes (e.g. price fluctuations, ...)
- Tweak your client application regarding DML operations
- "Black Box Debugging" to see what DML operations are involved when you click a button in a foreign application
- Audit trails as a necessity to conform to different application domain quality standards (e.g. US Food & Drug Administration, ...)
- Data logs to recover a database to a specific point in time or to undo data changes or to keep several slave databases with one master database in-sync
- Setup and maintain necessary database metadata, when integrating the IBO Global DML Caching mechanism in your IBO application (applies IB LogManager only).
The LogManager series is available for several database systems: